Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I really did completely forget that I had a blog.

Things got busy.  I started working for a print shop, then quit because some people there were...well...unpleasant.  Then I translated quite a bit.

We had a massive snow storm around Halloween that killed the power for a week.  I learned how to cook mac and cheese on a grill, take a bath in the amount of water that could be heated on a camp stove, and go to sleep at 7 pm.  If we hadn't lost everything in the fridge and freezer, and running water, it would have been really fun!

At the beginning of December, we moved out on our own.  I was SO HAPPY to move, not that I don't love my parents-in-law, but it was time.  I love knowing things don't get moved overnight, I am in charge of cooking/baking/groceries, and I can run from the bathroom to the bedroom in a towel if I want.  Not that I actually do now...its freezing!  The bad part...the apartment itself.  Lovely neighbors cause the cops to show up at all times of the night, domestic fights outside the door, small children screaming until midnight...And then the hot water lasts 10 min. max at lukewarm, the stove pilot roars like a bonfire, it is so humid water runs down the walls and leaves little yellow streaks from the stains in the ceiling, the few windows we have we need to keep the blinds closed because people walk right by them (sketchy people), the bathroom blower just blows up into the ceiling space and grows mold, and the bathroom does not even have a door.  Not to mention there are train tracks in front, a river gorge in back, we park at the edge of this cliff, and two streets go by the front door.  There are just too many things to mention...basically, we live in a cave.

I am very grateful to be living here, but we aren't looking to stay very long.  Once again, we are looking at New Hampshire.  Last time, we decided to stay in Mass. to be around Jon's family and work on Jon's business as a stone mason.  Now we are just looking to save up some money.  I miss New Hampshire!  So the dream apartment that I mentioned in September is hopefully going to work!  We'll see how that goes...

Last month, I worked for a day at a local farm, but that didn't work out.  So now I translate when I can get the work and spend the rest of my time baking interesting things and knitting.  I'm back to being a housewife!  Jon has been getting enough work and I've been translating enough to keep us going, but credit card bills are dragging us down and eating the savings.  Hopefully this spring will bring Jon a ton of work in NH and I will be able to find a part-time that will enable me to make dinner on time and keep weekends free for Jon.  I'm going a bit nuts being stuck in the cave all day.  One of my friends is working on not buying any packaged foods, so I've been looking up her recipes and experimenting with baking things instead of buying them.  Today, I made rye crackers.


Not too bad.  I don't think I'll be buying crackers again!

In other news, my rabbit Ruby had a litter of kits!  Three survived of seven, and they are absolutely adorable!


They are getting bigger every day.  The one with the pink ears has lighter brown fur now.  Ruby won't feed them on her own, so I need to hold them up to her twice a day to nurse.  But I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment