Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'm appreciated!

Yesterday, as Jon and I were having lunch, he suddenly looked at me and said: 'Everything on this plate was made by you!  You made the bread, jam, even the peanut butter.  You didn't have to buy any of it.'

At at moment, I was suddenly very proud.  I had made everything, even though it was just a peanut butter and jam sandwich, with a dried fruit bagel on the side.  Maybe all this work is starting to pay off!  I'm even more inspired right now to look for more things I can do myself to keep our stomachs happy and healthy.

No news yet as of the move to NH, but we keep hoping and praying that it works out!  I would love to be close to my parents again.  I know a few farms in the area, including my parents', that I could either get free goods from or do some trading.  I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to have a massive garden, and only go to the grocery store for things like salt and flour and toilet paper...how far can I go with this?

Last night I made up some muffins again, this time with mango, strawberry, and pear sauce.  I had one can of mango left from my smoothie craze last year, and my mother-in-law had given me several strawberries that were getting soft.  Never waste!  They are amazing muffins.  I also added in 2 Tbsp of whole flax seed and I love the extra crunch.

My mother-in-law had also given me a piece of fresh ginger that was starting to go (she loves to buy veggies and fruit, but she doesn't always get to use them), so I am experimenting with ginger extract- peeled and sliced ginger in some vodka in the fridge.  I'm not sure how it will go, but I would love an alternative to using powdered ginger, which I hear is terrible compared to using fresh in cooking.  Having an extract would be fun!

I'm going to go procrastinate some more and look up farm-y things instead of knitting Jon's sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment