Thursday, February 23, 2012

Homesteading.

The kits are weaned and it is time.  This weekend, Jon and I will be processing Ruby for meat.  The kits are doing beautifully, and I should be able to tell what sex they are soon.  I am also looking to sell Max, and hopefully a fiber enthusiast would love him.

There are mice in the kitchen.  The past two days I have come in to find droppings all over the counters and the dishes in the drainer.  I am very tired of sanitizing everything...but what else can I do?  I put baking soda in the places that the droppings were (they run through it, stop to clean themselves, and there is a reaction in their stomachs that causes gas, but they can't expel the gas, so they implode).  Less cruel than poison or a trap, I think.  I will also put peppermint extract everywhere, which they detest.

I am getting very tired of this apartment (the cave), and am very much looking forward to May when we hopefully move to NH!  We are looking at the second story of a beautiful farmhouse with a view, a barn, and lovely elderly landlords downstairs.  If everything goes well, it would be everything we have been hoping and praying for.  There are lilacs, a space for a HUGE garden, trees, even a farm a few houses down.  We would be close to my parents and many friends.  The landlords used to be good friends with my grandparents, too, as well as the grandparents of my friend that lives there now.  It isn't the biggest place, and it also might have mice, but the worst noise we will have to deal with is blasting "Sound of Music" in the evening.  Thank you, Lord, for watching over us and helping bring us to this farmhouse!  I will also be able to get milk and some veggies from my parents, I might be able to barter my spinning for some eggs and lamb, and I am going to ask  my parents if we could buy meat from them.  I will try to grow as much as I can myself, and I have been working on that list to find other things locally.  So pretty much, I have been doing my knekker-happy-dance for days.

This is pretty much how I dance.
And yes, it is in Norwegian.  Norwegian is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment