Monday, February 27, 2012

Cooking rabbit.

It is done.  I have rabbit meat* in the fridge, and I now need to figure out how to cook it for dinner.  I'm thinking roasting or braising?  I'm very disappointed that the only recipe in my cookbooks for rabbit are hassen pfeffer, rabbit cheese, and rabbit cooked in sour cream (thank you, Russian cookbook).  I still need to disjoint it, but there seems to be some good information about that out there.  I'll post about how it goes!

*Jon and I watched a video on youtube of all places on how to dispatch and butcher a rabbit.  It was one of the hardest things we have ever done.  Just the smell...But it is a good things to know how to do, and if we plan on butchering farm animals in the future, this helps a lot.  I won't post the link to the video, because it is very graphic, but I would be happy to send the link to anyone that is interested.

So today I have a new gadget-toy: an electric mixer!!!  I am super excited to use it, and it really is so much better than whisking for half an hour...I either loose interest, get distracted, or agitate my old shoulder injury...But now I can make all the meringue that I want!  I am going to do some macaroons that call for stiff egg white peaks and then some lemon meringue pie.  Today is also bread day, with the usual wheat bread recipe.  Pictures to follow!





The rabbits are now a day over one month old, and they are huge, playful, curious, and cuddly.  I am so glad that they are healthy and doing so well!  I hope to take pictures later if they hold still.

Also,  Boston Cream Pie is awesome.  But you should follow the recipe and actually use powdered sugar, not granulated, or the glaze will be really crunchy...


No comments:

Post a Comment