Monday, September 19, 2011

Applesauce and New Hampshire?

The cool fall air is a wonderful change from the summer.  I got some pre-used row cover for one dollar from Agway, and the rest of the garden gets covered with a tarp on nights when the frost might come.  We've been lucky so far.  Friday night, I had been frantically covering the plants with every spare blanket I could find in the house.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, until I realized that I would have to wash all of those blankets and that while they were keeping frost off of my tomatoes, I had no fleece to curl up with on the couch.  I have a very large pot of apples on the stove working down to sauce.  There is good apple tree in the backyard, and with Jon's request for applesauce for breakfast in the mornings, I decided that it was a good time to pick every single apple that I could reach with a step ladder.  Halfway through that, and with the information that these apples didn't usually keep beyond a couple days, I retreated to the kitchen to start what I realized was a couple days' worth of applesauce making.

Hindsight: Apples sauce 10x better than pears.  What was I thinking doing about 12 quarts of pear sauce a few weeks ago?!

This should have been the time that Jon and I would start packing, finishing projects, and avoiding packing for a move to Vermont (this time I'm very glad that I procrastinated).  We found a cute 3rd floor 1 bedroom in Bellows Falls, and gave a deposit.  It seemed perfect until....

1.  Got a call from that landlord saying one of my references said some bad things about me.  Me!
2.  Found out that we might be able to live in the apartment of our dreams in New Hampshire, but it wouldn't be available until February or March.

My very first landlady had made up things about me so that this new person wouldn't rent to us.  We found out that she had said that I had broken the lease, moved out early, and left her with no one to live in the apartment.  Jen and I moved in May 23, 2009, and left May 23, 2010.  Jen even called her to ask specifically if we had until the end of the month, and she said no, we had to be out on the 23rd.  I never found out what else she said about me, but the perspective landlord said that it sounded made up and that she was searching for not nice things.  Be careful who you rent from in Dover!!! 

Because all of this happened in one day, it got us thinking why we were moving to Vermont in the first place.  So for now, we are going to stick it out here at Jon's parents', and wait to hear about the apartment of our dreams.  Moving isn't something to rush into, especially when you aren't just by yourself.  I was a gypsy when I was single, but now that I'm married to someone with their own business....I can't just hop around.

I also will probably continue to be a housewife-translator over the winter with the hope of moving back to New Hampshire.  And I will bake too many things and spin yarn.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I am also a former tenant of theirs, and am fighting to get my security deposit back. I was Google-ing for M's phone number, when I came across your blog...and multiple other online complaints. Wish I had thought of that prior to moving in! Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can try to find her number if you're still having problems finding it. The way I got our security deposit back was to send her a certified letter saying the exact days we moved in and out and saying that she owed us the money back. You have to sign for a certified letter so it proves that she received it. In my case, she refused to sign for it, it got sent back to me, and I got the money back after the month limit for returning it. Hope it all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete