Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grocery shopping

I have a love/hate relationship with grocery shopping.  I love food, but I moving through a crowded store and how much money I spend.  Usually, I save over 25% with the store card/coupons, but it is always more than I expect, even with a carefully planned list.  I see something really great on sale, know the perfect recipe for it, then I need to go get the other ingredients to go with it!  I'm really glad now that this is happening with vegetables and not pre-packaged foods.  I didn't buy one processed thing.  There was an epiphany moment when I picked up a bag of frozen meatballs and realized...I could very easily make those myself.  I started to head for the bread crumbs, and then I did a mental face-palm: I can make those, too...

 Just remembered that I forgot to get some diced tomatoes...oh well, they aren't in season so I should find something else!

We have been surviving on things like pasta and beef stew recently.  I can stretch out a pot of beef stew to last 3 or 4 days.  I've stopped buying lunch meat and just cook meat and slice it up myself.  Our fridge is FULL of vegetables, and that makes me very happy.  I even got a 4 lb bag of peanuts, so I will try to make my own peanut butter again.  Shelling 4 lbs of peanuts isn't the most fun thing, but its better than surfing the internet for a few hours like I should not be doing.

The menu for dinners this week include:
Kale and Chorizo Soup
Tilapia, brown rice, and a spinach salad
Borscht
Pasta with homemade meatballs (made with homemade bread crumbs)

In other news, I am making Jon a sweater.  I had been putting that off...knitting a sweater for a boyfriend or even fiance would bring up issues of 'commitment', because sweaters take so long to do.  The sweater I made for myself took 2 years!  So now that we're married, its sweater time.  Jon also picked out the most complicated sweater I've ever seen in my life:


I'm on my second attempt already, after having a twist in the circle.  I'm on row 24 now and it takes me about half an hour to do a row.  No kidding.  Did I mention that I spun 1400 yards of wool/llama/our angora fiber to make this thing out of?  I told Jon to expect it done in about 2 years.  He's not allowed to change sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment