Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My very own cracker recipe!

Whole Wheat Buffalo Crackers


Looking through different cracker recipes, I couldn't find one that included everything that I was looking for:
-whole wheat flour
-hot spices
-ingredients that I already had
So I came up with my own, and it worked.  It actually came out well and they are incredibly tasty!  Crunchy, buttery, and an almost buffalo flavor.  They were super easy and take less than 10 minutes to bake!  Anyone could make these!

*UPDATE: These are amazing with homemade ranch dressing!!!  I used 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup mayo, garlic, onion powder, parsley, and sea salt.  This combination is SO GOOD that I actually shouted in joy!


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar (or a squirt of honey or agave nectar, add a spoonful more of flour)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes*
4 squirts hot sauce, any kind
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup water


*You can adjust this as much as you want.

Preheat oven to 375F.  Combine flour, sugar, salt, cayenne, mustard, and pepper flakes.  I used a mixer.  Cut in the butter, or just use the batter attachment for a mixer, until the butter is in pea sized pieces.  Add the water and hot sauce.
Mix by hand or with mixer for several minutes, until all ingredients are incorporated.  Adjust flour/water ratio if necessary, depending on how humid your kitchen is.  The dough should be wet, but not sticky.
Roll out dough with a rolling pin on a floured board as thin as possible (like a pie crust), while not tearing the dough.  It will seem really thin, but the crackers should not fall apart.  Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut in whatever shapes you want.

Grease a cookie sheet, or put a piece of parchment paper over it.  I like parchment paper.  Transfer the crackers to the cookie sheet, placing them as close as possible to each other without them touching.  They will shrink.

If you like your crackers to be flat, prick each cracker with a fork a few times.  If you like bubbles in the dough, like me, leave them as they are.  Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until they are crispy and slightly browned, but don't let them burn!  The smaller pieces bake faster, so if they seem in danger, take them off early.  I just leave them on, and when the entire pan is done, I set the dark ones aside to eat myself.  Strange person that I am, I like overcooked crackers.

Let cool on a wire cooling rack, and enjoy!!!  These would be great with a blue cheese dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment