Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ginger carrot soup and a mushroom and spinach quiche with potato crust

Alright, I admit it.  Some days, I spend all morning looking up recipes, and spend all afternoon making dinner.  But its for a good cause!  Don't tell Jon that I'm not working on his sweater today ;)

I made orange juice today, too!  One bag of oranges made about half a large jar of juice.  I'm saving the pulp for muffins.  I would candy the rinds, but they have fungicide on them =(  I have a bag of grapefruit waiting for next time.



Tonight for dinner, I am making ginger carrot soup and a mushroom and spinach quiche with potato crust.  Sounds fancy, but is really easy!  The quiche looks absolutely beautiful, and the broth of the soup is AMAZING.  Like, restaurant quality.  Woo!  I substituted organic whole milk for the soy milk in the soup.  The quiche is taking forever to set, though, so next time I might use a higher temp. to begin with, then bring it down to finish setting up.  One more egg might help, too.  




I actually had ginger on hand from when I preserved it in some vodka in the fridge.  Now I have ginger extract, and the ginger tastes just fine in the soup.  No alcohol taste.  I did use a mid-grade vodka that doesn't leave a horrible taste in things.  Great for vanilla, too!

Jon's sweater IS coming along...slowly!  Here is what I have done so far, about one skein, next to my new favorite tea: Tazo Focus.  It has black tea, lemon balm, chicory, cocoa peels, roasted yerba mate, rose petals, citrus essence oil, rosemary, and 'natural flavor'.  LOVE the cocoa!


No comments:

Post a Comment