Thursday, March 22, 2012

Making refreshments for an art reception in one day, from scratch.

As always, things got pushed to the last minute, and I needed to make the refreshments for Jon's art reception the day it was happening.  I also had a document that I needed to finish translating.  I hadn't even planned out recipes yet!  I was able to get the groceries I thought I would need the day before, so this is what I came up with:

Very small bricks of Irish cheddar cheese from the odds and ends basket at Whole Foods, cut-your-own-slice.
Red and green grapes.
Gluten-free peanut butter cookies (there was a chance that a guest was going to be gluten free, but she didn't end up showing up...)- with homemade peanut butter

Pearsauce brownies- with homemade pearsauce, substitute for applesauce

Rice-Sesame Crackers (gluten tree)- from Laurel's Kitchen Cook Book

Corn Crackers- from Laurel's Kitchen Cook Book
Overall, it went well!  I completely forgot that I needed to provide drinks, so I had to go grab some juice and soda.  Otherwise, that would have been from scratch, too.  Everything tasted lovely- the corn crackers are AMAZING, and the brownies are surprisingly decadent, which is why only two were left to take a picture of.  People were so impressed that I made everything myself, including the crackers!  *proud smile*

I ended up having a migraine after that all, pretty much a 'baking hangover'.

My trip to Whole Foods was so wonderful.  I could spend all day in there, with dangerous results.  I got a lot of food, but it should last a very long time.  None of it was processed!  I love their bulk section.  Finally, cardamom was within reach.  There is enough food in this kitchen to keep me busy until almost moving time!  I'm experimenting more with the Laurel's Kitchen Cook Book.  She's vegetarian, but sometimes that is the cheapest and most nutritious way to go on a budget.  I'm sick of pasta- tonight's dinner is zucchini oat-flake loaf!  It has a combination of rolled oats, shredded zucchini, sauteed onions, wheat gluten, sunflower seeds, two eggs, cheese, nutmeg, and salt.  And now that I see that the recipe called for wheat GERM, not wheat gluten, I'll see how it tastes...Oops...It looks good!

No comments:

Post a Comment