Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Unpacking, restocking, and garden planning.

Thanks to some awesome family and JenJen, we got everything in a truck, drove three hours, lugged boxes and furniture up a flight of stairs, and unpacked the kitchen and majority of the living room.  We were stocked with some fresh veggies, dry goods, and sandwich things.  We are so grateful for the help, we couldn't have done it without them!

We have spent the last week unpacking the apartment and Jon's two new work spaces there and at my parents', fixing various plumbing issues, getting to know our new landlords, and meeting a lot of new neighbors.  Jon is seeking new leads for work and while I am waiting for a document to translate, I am spending my time planning my garden.

My little notebook is filling up with ideas.  The rain these past few days does not help my eagerness to go out and start planting!  I'd be happy to be out there, but I don't have a raincoat...so I've been planning instead.  I have a bunch of seeds leftover from last year.  Our old apartment was a cave, so I couldn't start any plants early.  I will need to buy some tomato, eggplant, and pepper seedlings.  I might start some seeds in hopes that we have a late season, because I don't want to keep seeds around for too long.  I have a 41' by 44' space in the backyard next to the apple tree.  I also have a garden space at my parents' that I am welcome to use.
-How many seeds can I afford?
-How much are we actually going to eat/preserve?
-Can I sell some at my parents' farmstand?
-Can I grow some staples that I've never grown before?

I am just too excited!  I know that I can handle the work.  My only problems would be affording the seed/seedlings, starting too late, and learning about caring for new plants.  If I can find a cheap source for the seeds I want, find some row cover, and do a ton of research, this is going to be the best garden I've ever done!

For now, I am restocking the kitchen with homemade and natural foods.  I've made yogurt, butter, honey wheat bread (Panera Bread Cookbook), and dehydrated some chives, cherry tomatoes, and scallions.  Rhubarb should be ready in a couple of weeks!  I am going to try dehydrating some.  Dehydrating and canning might be my best resources for preserving produce this year.  We have a mini-fridge with a 2" high freezer at the top.  Fortunately, the kitchen is large and I finally have enough shelf space to store everything.

Time to order some seeds =)

No comments:

Post a Comment