Monday, May 2, 2011

Back to work...

I had a wonderful weekend!  Saturday, I had my second shower.  I got quite a few dish towels, and lots of lovely things.  I'm even getting 7 volumes of family recipes that were just collected for me!  I'm going to have to do a lot of running...Speaking of food, I'm trying to eat healthier.  After going out to eat twice this weekend, I was pointed to the fact that I pretty much eat what I want, which is usually something fried or salty.  I love salt, but too much.  Its unhealthy.  I ordered buffalo wings for the first time ever (I usually just make them) and had the beer that Jon didn't want, and the next day I had a blt and onion rings for lunch.  I also had chips in the car on the way...Yes, I was keeping chips in my car.  That was mostly because I have so much time to kill between jobs and eating chips keeps me very busy and is sort of a breakfast.  I'm not really a sweets person, so I've already got that down.  I just need to cut out as much salt and fat as I can.

For my first shower, I got a Ninja blender/food processor, so I broke that out yesterday and made a strawberry and banana smoothie.  It was the best smoothie I ever had:
6 frozen strawberries
1 banana
4 oz orange juice
two spoonfuls raspberry sorbet
Even Jon drank it!

I've been experimenting with my morning shake recipe, and that is what it has turned into:
1 serving soy protein
1 cap of vanilla sugar free flavoring
2 squirts of amber agave nectar
1/2 cup hazelnut milk
6 frozen strawberries
1 banana
1 tbsp yerba mate steeped in 1/2 cup warm water
1/8 tsp xanthan gum

Its actually really good now!  I need to work on figuring out how to blend the protein in without having chunks of it stick around, but I think that I just need to spend more time blending it with the liquids before adding fruit.

I planted two raised beds yesterday with greens, beets, carrots, peas, beans, onions, and scallions.  It was very cold this morning, but I'm hoping that its warm enough to get things moving.  My father, back home, has already planted some corn!  I can't wait to start getting these fresh veggies!

Last night, I stood by with the hose as Jon tried to cast his ring.  It didn't work (the spruing wasn't right), but it was an amazing show.  Pictures to follow!  Jon was in an iron guild, so he's used to pouring molten metal, but I thought that he was going to explode something!  He's going to try to machine it later.  I need to keep reminding him to work on it, or we won't have a ring for the wedding for him...

Update: Pictures from the casting.  Also, Jon , after another attempt which broke, successfully machined a ring!  Its beautiful!





No comments:

Post a Comment