Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Canning and Old Sturbridge Village

I have been translating when I can get the work, but I have quite a bit more free time now.  So, I decided to get started on Christmas presents, hostess presents, and stocking up the pantry for winter.  Canning!

Yesterday, I did 3 quarts and 1 pint of pear butter.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pear-butter/detail.aspx
It tastes so good!  The orange flavor is perfect with the pear.  But...it takes 2 lbs of pears to make 1 quart.  Fortunately, we have maybe 50 lbs of pears (friend of the family sent Jon home with half a truck full), so I can and should make as much as I want.

Today, I started two more batches.
That one is a saged pear butter.
http://tigressinajam.blogspot.com/2010/04/saged-pear-butter.html
It has pepper and sage, and is making the house smell wonderful!


The next batch is a caramel pear butter.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2008/10/caramel_pear_butter
These take half a day to cook down, but they are completely worth it.

My other project today was making pickles.  My grandparents had the most amazing sour mustard pickle recipe, which my uncle continues to make, that make your mouth pucker and eyes water.  I found this recipe, which is the closest I could find.
http://www.almanac.com/recipe/ruth-feeneys-mothers-sour-mustard-pickles
I am canning them, though, so I used these instructions.
http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles.htm

Three of the jars are filled with lemon cucumbers, and the other five are regular straight eights.  I've never actually canned before, besides making the jam, so I hope that they turn out alright.  The smell of the brine was enough to make me cough, so they should be strong enough!

My biggest problem now is running out of counter space.

Jon and I went to Old Sturbridge Village for the second time last Saturday.  We had an amazing time there in the rain, with very few people around!  I got some photos to save for inspiration when we are building our house.  I love the little house in the front of the village.  I want to live there, right now.  Can I just stay there, get paid to just work and live, and not have people ask me a million questions?

Here are some of the pictures from that day.
 I want this wallpaper!

 My parents have a fireplace in their kitchen just like this, but not used in a very long time.



 Timberframing


 Very nice step.
 The siding has something to do with ship siding





Jon, sporting his new beard

No comments:

Post a Comment