Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oatmeal chai cookies with whole wheat flour and flax seeds

Last night, I hardly slept at all.  It was the first night we programmed the thermostat, so of course it was so hot and dry that I couldn't stay asleep on the night before Jon had to get up super early.  This resulted in a migraine, a three hour nap on the couch, and spending the entire afternoon knitting/watching scary movies (not that I don't do that part anyway...).  Sometime during my nap, I woke up to a program all about chocolate, and it highlighted some very unusual flavor pairings.  After my brain cleared up a bit, I had a thought- I love cookies.  I'm hungry.  What recipes are out there that I haven't tried yet?  What about using different flavors that you wouldn't get in a traditional cookie?  I found quite a few new recipes out there, especially on pinterest, and decided to have a go at making some new cookies.

Oatmeal chai cookies

I adapted the recipe from here.

3/4 cup brown turbinado sugar (Demarara) 
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp soybean oil
2 eggs (I used free range)
1 tsp vanilla (I used homemade)
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used stone ground)
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup regular oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I used sea salt)
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 heaping spoonful of flax seed (I used organic)

Because I am a rebel, I don't bother to mix things separately, and I used my Kitchenaid.  Set oven to 350.  Mix brown sugar and oil together.  Throw in everything else in the order listed.  I didn't grease my cookie sheet, but you can if you feel like it.  Drop by large spoonful onto a cookie sheet.


Leave lots of room for spreading.  They puff up quite a bit.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes.  The very bottom may stick a tiny bit, but they should come off if you're careful with the spatula.  Cool on a cooling rack.  Makes 18 cookies.

The result?  OH my goodness.  Slightly crunchy, yet puffy and cake-like, wonderful oatmeal flavor, hint of spice.  I would definitely increase the chai spices if you wanted a more intense chai flavor, but this is enough for my tastes.


And you would never know that there was whole wheat flour in these!

I think this is a good start to a long project.  I will think up some more recipes soon.  Also, in my next post, I will write about tips on how to make one very large chicken last two people for 9+ meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment