Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Squash soup.

After I saw that I was only scheduled once or twice a week for August, and considering quite a few other factors, I quit my job at the ice cream stand.  It just wasn't worth it.  The small amount that I was making wasn't worth the drama and stress, especially when they suddenly cut my hours!  As for the people already asking me, 'So, when are you going to get a new job?!'...I have a job.  I'm still translating.  Yes, that's a real job.  And between jobs, I will be out in the garden, or making jam, or working on Jon's sweater, and not being lazy.  Most of the time.

My challenge recently has been to use up zucchini and summer squash.  I'm kinda glad that not all of my seed germinated, or we would have been eating squash for THREE meals a day, instead of two.

Here is my favorite recipe to use up the larger zucchini and summer squashes:

Squash Soup

Saute a medium chopped onion in olive oil until translucent in soup pot.  Add a chopped clove of garlic.  Dice up a couple of cups of zucchini and/or summer squash, as well as one carrot and one potato.  I've also thrown in turnips and beets.  Amounts don't have to be exact.  Saute a few minutes.  Add 3-4 cups of broth.  Add, to your taste, tumeric, cumin, paprika, ground mustard, cinnamon, cayenne (very little), salt, and pepper.  Keep in mind it will cook down, so watch how much salt you add.  When all the veggies are soft, use an immersion blender, or like me, pour small amounts into a blender and blend until pureed, being very careful- hot!!!  Add a tablespoon of butter -or- a splash of milk of your choice and stir in.  Enjoy!

This recipe is great for using up odd amounts of things.  I've been picking a tote bag full of squash every few days...seems to be the only thing coming out of the garden besides turnips!  Anyone want turnips?!  Seriously- let me know.  You can have all you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment