Monday, July 8, 2013

Gardening in the rain

If I haven't been scooping ice cream, I've been running to either my garden here behind the apartment, or my massive garden at my parents'.  This has been rather difficult, because if there haven't been thunderstorms, there is a drenching rain that makes it impossible to get anything done.  Rain gear isn't even an option at this point...there is so much moisture out there that I really don't want to risk spreading mold from ground to leaf!

There are some lovely flowers on my radish and spinach plants.  They bolted as soon as this heat started up. I knew that it was late for spinach, but the area is so shady!  Any other year, it would have worked.

Most of my seed came from the Seed Savers Exchange, which ended up being a big mistake.  Half their seed never germinated, their tomato seed produced very weak and susceptible seedlings, and I never received a response when I asked them about their germination rates this year or why I was having so many problems.

I was very fortunate to receive quite a few tomato, pepper, and one summer squash plant from some friends, as well as some new heirloom seed.  I also bought a flat of eggplants from the Agway.  Despite several evil woodchucks roaming the larger garden and more weeds than could ever be kept up with, the garden does look good.

This is what the apartment garden looks like.
This is what the farm garden looks like, mostly, I have generalized all of the tomato and peppers that were put in.

I'm off now to hopefully pull some more weeds before the rain starts up again!

We also got a guinea pig.  His name is Quwi.

No comments:

Post a Comment