Saturday, May 11, 2013

Haymarket

Yesterday, Jon and I met up with a friend in Boston and went to Haymarket!!!  I am absolutely impressed by the deals on fruit, vegetables, and fish!  I got enough stuff to fill one large cooler and one lunch box.  The thrifty part of my brain was jumping all around, excited beyond control that an avocado was only $1!  And then I saw the leeks, onions, peppers...and the exotic foods.

I love trying new foods.  This was an amazing opportunity to just go for it!  Besides plantains, a coconut, and Arabic dates, we also got:


 Malanga coco (potato/jam-like root veggie, related to taro, tastes of artichoke heart and chestnuts)
 Banana flower (the actual flower that has banana buds inside!  supposed to taste lightly like leeks)

Rambutan Fruit (a little sad and slightly past prime, but still amazing, tastes like a starchy grape)

We also got some fresh salmon for $4 a pound.

The Russian grocery store was open so we got kvas, sushki, pryaniki, some candy, and some Baltika No. 9 (51 oz size!).

It was a wonderful day, despite a few misadventures, and I am absolutely in love with the market.  I can't wait to go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment