Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cottage cheese and keeping busy!

Update on yogurt making:  the yogurt may possibly have worked, but I should not have used a bath towel to insulate it...there was a hard green/blue mold that grew on the outside of the glass.  The yogurt looked fine.  I still got rid of all of it, though, and washed everything.  The glass was ruined.  So, I broke down and ordered a yogurt maker with an automatic shut-off.  It just wasn't worth the hassle!

I am also getting some cheese making supplies in the mail!  Soon, I will be able to make wonderful mozzarella, feta, and mascarpone!  I am overjoyed!

In other news, the lettuce is almost big enough to harvest.  Most everything has germinated.  There are little bell peppers.  There is an absolute ton of weeding to do...which I am less enthusiastic about...

Yesterday, I made cottage cheese for the first time.  I heated 4 cups of milk up to 120, added 1/4 cup white vinegar, stirred for 2 minutes, let it set for 30 minutes, separate the whey with a cheesecloth in a strainer, rinsed the curds, then added a little salt to them.  I cannot describe how wonderful they are.  Rich and fresh tasting!  There were a little less than 4 cups of whey left, which went into bread.  I got maybe 1/4 cup of curds.  But it is so worth it!

As soon as I can find my camera again, I will take pictures of everything that has been going on.  For now, I am exhausted and am ready to close the laptop and sleep =)

No comments:

Post a Comment