Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yogurt cheese, violet jam, and a name for the rabbit.

There isn't enough coffee in the world.

I have been incredibly busy.  I sold the two doe kits to a very nice lady with two teenage girls.  She couldn't stop giggling over how adorable they were and I could tell that they would be well loved =)  It was still very sad to see them go!

We named the buck kit we are keeping Tavşan.  His new favorite place is under the dresser between the weights.
He is understandably upset with us for taking away his sisters.  The first few days, he turned from being sweet and cuddly to skittish and sulky.    Today, I was grooming him, and he decided to start licking my leg.  He loves me again!  I gave him some treats while he sat in my lap for a while after that.  He is still not quite himself, but he is getting more trusting every day.  He also requires the lowest maintenance that I've ever needed for a rabbit.  He doesn't chew, go to the bathroom outside his cage, and mostly prefers to hang out with me.  He is curious and likes to climb on little things, but doesn't try to find the highest spot in the room like one of the does.  His favorite toy is an old cardboard box, which he stuffs himself into and peeps out at the world.

I haven't had much time for baking recently (trip to NH, helping Jon build a workbench, helping Jon with a job), but I have been able to do a few projects: 64 oz of yogurt, peanut butter, grapefruit juice, 2 loaves of maple oatmeal wheat bread, granola bars, best cake ever, roast chicken, violet jam...alright...so I have been able to get quite a few things done!

The violet jam is beautiful!
I picked 4 cups of violets.  This is about half of what I needed.  I ended up having to use white violets as well, but the color still turned out quite beautiful.
This pictures does not do justice.  I got a total of 10 half pint jars done, in two batches.

Each batch had:
2 cups tightly packed washed and dried violet blossoms (wild, non-sprayed, clean)
1 3oz pouch liquid pectin
4 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups water

I blended the water, lemon juice, and blossoms in a blender.  Then I added the sugar 2 cups at a time, blending.  I put this blend into a large pot and got it to a rolling boil, skimming off the white/greenish foam.  Then, I added the pouch of pectin and boiled for 2 minutes, stirring.  The mixture will rise up quite a bit, so make sure that you have a big enough pot!  Then I poured the mixture into sterilized half pint jars, up to about 1/8 in. from the top (I cheated a little here).  The jars were put through a rinse cycle in a dishwasher, but could be boiled in water or for just jam, kept in the hottest tap water in a clean sink.  I put the lids on as tight as I could, then put them upside down to help with sealing.  They need to set for at least 24 hours, then I will check to see if the lids have not popped.

I tasted a little of the jam, and it is marvelous!!!  Kind of like the flavor of rose water, but less strong, and with a more wild flower scenty-taste.  The color is a bold purple.  I am really going to enjoy using this jam, giving it away, and just looking at it!  Violets also have tons of vitamin a and 3 times the amount of vitamin c than an orange.  All for taking the time to pick them from the yard.  Violets are also great fresh, with their leaves, in a salad.  Or candied violets.  The entire plant is edible except for the rhizome.

I am thinking of getting a Level 1 Homesteading license...to sell some baked goods, jam, and jelly at a farmers' market.  I could also bring along some veggies.  The cost of the license is pretty cheap in NH, and I would only need to have the water tested and fill out some paperwork.  Anyone want to go in on this with me?

Today's baking project is yogurt cheese.
I wanted to get enough to make a cheesecake with, but I can only fit 1 cup of yogurt in my strainer.  The web says that 1 cup yogurt = 1/3 cup yogurt cheese (pretty much the same consistency and taste as cream cheese).  I need 2 cups of the cheese for cheesecake.  It also said that it would take 1-12 hours to drain.  I am also thinking up uses for the whey after this is done.  This project may take several days, but I am super excited!  I hope to branch out into other types of cheese, and then ones that need rennet.  Jon should build me a cheese press.

No comments:

Post a Comment