Sunday, April 7, 2013

Springtime knitting projects

Spring is a good time for knitting.  It isn't too warm to handle wool, and it is the time of year that I like to do a little extra 'spring cleaning'.  That includes working on my fiber stash.

I have trash bags full of fleeces, boxes of roving, bags of yarn...its a major space problem.

Jon asked that I make some convertible mittens for him with some of the 'sweater yarn'.  This seemed like a reasonable request.  I used a pattern from ravelry and Jon made the buttons.

 With the tops flipped up, his hands are still warm but he can grip his measuring tape!
 With the tops down, Jon's hands stay warm when picking up cold stones.
 One flap up, one flap down.
 Good hammer grip.
 Hammer in motion.
Jon also loves that he can reach into his pockets without taking them off!

I'm thinking of modifying this pattern with a few design changes and selling some.  Let me know what you think!

My other ongoing project is a mug cozy.  With such a small amount of yarn needed, how could this not be a good idea to use up my scrap box of handspun yarn?!  This is also a chance to use some of my awesome buttons from Northampton Wools.
_____________

I haven't been doing much baking lately.  My tomato, cherry tomato, huckleberry, and ground cherry seeds have all germinated and some are over an inch high.  I just replanted peppers, hot peppers, and eggplant seeds because they never germinated.  I hope to put some early greens in the ground the first week of May.  Jon is back to work repairing a wall and might get a job doing some terracing garden beds.  Translating has been slow again.  I'm really looking forward to warmer weather...I have plans of reading a large book in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment