Friday, December 28, 2012

What we eat: how we eat organically/sustainably for next to nothing

What we eat.
Day 1


I"m starting this on a Friday.  'Cause I like Fridays.  I'm spending the day catching up on knitting Jon's sweater...a task that I've sadly put off for a long time.  I'm also making whole wheat bread (recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book).  I thought that it might be a good idea to record what we eat for a week, with recipes, notes, and advice.  Eating on a budget is difficult, and eating well is even harder.  I hope that this list might help others to stretch out meals creatively as well as help me see where we might be lacking in our diet.  I won't be posting every day, but I hope to give a good picture here of what we eat!

(Jon's parents sent us back after Christmas with a ton of food, things that we don't normally have)

Breakfast:

Bacon from Our Place Farm in Loudon, NH (trade for labor at Kelly Corner Farm)
Local eggs from the local Blue Seal (trade for labor at Kelly Corner Farm)
Homemade maple oat bread from last week
Organic tea from Ocean State Job Lot
Coffee from Co-op with raw milk
Organic banana

Lunch:

Leftover pork tenderloin sandwiches, with pork from Jon's parents, same bread, and kale
Homemade caramel cream pie, made last night from the Better H&G Cook Book (raw milk, local eggs, turbinado sugar, etc.)
Strawberries from Jon's parents

Snack:
Homemade bread and homemade blackberry blueberry jam

Dinner:

Olives and cheese from the Co-op
Roasted chicken (trade for labor at Kelly Corner Farm) with mushrooms (from Jon's parents)
Boiled cabbage, potatoes and carrots (organic carrots and potatoes from Co-op, cabbage from Jon's parents)
Stonyfield caramel ice cream from Co-op, on sale
Whole wheat bread, warm from the oven
Organic eggnog from Co-op


No comments:

Post a Comment